Dance and acrobatics involve physical motion where minor strains and stresses can be a normal part of the experience. The Arts For Youth (TAFY) strives to maintain a safe, clean classroom environment. Our instructors are experienced dancers who include warm-up exercises at the beginning of each class. Cool-down exercises often conclude classes. Health tips and suggestions are a part of our instruction. Students, or their parents, are ultimately responsible for staying within their own limitations; instructors will encourage this in every way possible, but will not be held responsible for injuries that may occur under their supervision.
TAFY Valley Studio NEIGHBORHOOD ETIQUETTE:
There are some unique challenges and benefits because of our location in a residential area. It is vital to the success of our program that students and their families agree to a few rules of conduct. Our neighbors are friendly and supportive of this program, as long as we are mindful of them. They ask that we are aware of the following courtesies:
1. Drive SLOWLY! There are often children (and pets!) out and about.
2. Park courteously! The paved parking area on our property provides ample parking for our program. There is never a reason for TAFY families to park in a way that blocks a neighbor's driveway or road access.
3. Avoid honking! This was a quiet cul-de-sac when we moved in. Our neighbors should not feel like they live on the edge of a highway! Please do not honk your car horn to alert your child that you are there to pick them up. Please greet them at the door, which allows their instructor to pass on any updated information.
4. Security. Students will not be allowed to walk home from class without written permission.
TAFY Lemon Creek Studio NEIGHBORHOOD ETIQUETTE:
Please be aware of the following courtesies:
1. Dancers and their siblings will not be allowed to play outside the studio area. We are located on a busy industrial road and TAFY teachers cannot be expected to watch children outside the building.
2. Park courteously! We share our parking lot with another business (Fastenal) and with an apartment. Please park in the spots marked for TAFY families.
DRUG FREE STATEMENT:
TAFY supports a drug free environment. The presence of alcohol, tobacco, or illegal drugs is prohibited throughout the TAFY facility and at any TAFY sponsored performance or program held outside the dance studio. Any TAFY student found in possession of alcohol, tobacco, and/or illegal drugs, by consumption and/or physical possession at the locations above faces suspension or dismissal at the discretion of the TAFY Board of Directors without refund of class tuition or program/performance fees paid. Upon approval by the TAFY Board of Directors, TAFY students may be granted performing privileges for fundraising activities outside of the studio where alcohol may be served. At these activities, alcohol will only be served to ticket holders 21 years of age and older.
DURING CLASS TIME:
We do not exclude parents from watching their child's class. However, our experience has been that children listen much better when the parents are not present. We ask that siblings not participating in a class stay in the observation area and under no circumstance be allowed on the dance floor or any other part of the property. It is dangerous for them and distracting to all. Please keep the noise level down so the instructor can focus on the students and your child can listen and follow easily. Refrain from calling out suggestions and comments from the sidelines to your child. This is confusing for the child and demeans the authority of the instructor. We invite you to help your child practice at home. Your support is important to their success in class and performances.
BEFORE, DURING, AND AFTER EVENTS:
Throughout each dance session, TAFY students have several opportunities to participate in events such as fundraisers and performances. TAFY staff members are talented and dedicated, but few in number. Volunteers from student's friends and family are the essential ingredient to the success of any event.
In our program, the year consists of three sessions: January to May (Spring Session), June & July (Summer Session), and August to December (Fall/ Winter Session). A valuable part of any dance program is the opportunity to work towards and follow through with regular performances. We hold two Showcases per year: in May and December. It is important to have each student commit to the session and to performing in the Showcase. This is necessary for planning choreography, costumes, and other performance details.
Some classes will not participate in the Showcase at the end of the session. No costume will be required. These classes will focus more on developing skills, fitness, and fun. These classes include:
In addition to formal recitals, TAFY students may have the chance to participate in other events such as public appearances (including the 4th of July Independence Day Parade) and performances (such as concerts in the park and other events). Details about these opportunities will be available as far in advance as possible. Parent participation in Showcases and other events is both needed and appreciated
GENERAL PAYMENT POLICIES
- A credit card is required to be on file for all accounts
- Tuition fees, including applicable discounts and any additional fees (such as costume), will be added to your account by a staff member upon completion of this form and a statement will be sent to the primary email account you have on file.
- At the start of each session, our billing department will send you an email with your statement for the session. This statement will include all fees and discounts. It will also list out details for all due dates and the amounts due.
- You can choose to pay your balance in full at the time you receive your first statement.
- Monthly billing is available for an additional $5 processing fee per month. This fee will be automatically added to your account if you do not pay the balance in full by the first due date listed.
- Monthly payments must be 25% of the total session's fees (not including costume) and paid on the 1st of the month (Feb, March, April, and May for Spring Session. Sept, Oct, Nov, and Dec for Fall/Winter Session. Summer Session payments are 50% in both June & July.)
- If you do not pay in full by the first due date listed on this statement, your credit card will be automatically charged each month on the due dates listed on your initial statement, unless paid with another method prior to the due date.
- If you prefer to pay with another method (cash, check, bank draft, PayPal), payment must be received before the 5th of each month.
- If you make a payment that is less than the amount due, your credit card will be charged the balance due on the due date listed.
- There is a $25.00 fee for any declined credit cards or returned checks.
- Tuition is non-refundable.
COSTUME FEE POLICIES
- Costume fees are due in full on the first full month of the session (February for Spring, September for Fall/Winter).
- Costume fees will be listed on your initial statement and will be automatically charged to your credit card on file on the due date unless paid with another method prior.
- Costume fees can be refunded if the class is dropped by the drop date.
- Costume fees are as follows:
- Tot Creative Movement: $35 for girls, $25 for boys (Black pants may be required separately)
- Intermediate & Senior Tap/Hip Hop: Two costumes (includes performance shoes for Hip Hop)
- Boys: $75-80 (Black pants may be required separately)
- Girls youth sizes: $110
- Girls adult sizes: $120
- Pom only classes: One costume (includes poms that you keep)
- Boys: $40 (Black pants may be required separately)
- Girls youth sizes: $70
- Girls adult sizes: $75
- Jazz /Pom classes: Two costumes (includes poms that you keep)
- Boys: $70 (Black pants may be required separately)
- Girls youth sizes: $105
- Girls adult sizes: $115
- All other classes:
- Teacher's Assistants: $25 for single song, $50 for double
- Boys: $25 for single song, $50 for double (Black pants may be required separately.)
- Girls youth sizes: $50 for single song, $85 for double
- Girls adult sizes: $55 for single song, $95 for double
- Sibling Discount - Additional students per family: $5 off per month
- Multiple Class Discount - enjoy 20% off when you register for more than one class per student per week!
- Referral Credit - If an enrolling student mentions your name, your account will be credited $10. No limit!
LIMITED TIME OFFERS
- Bonus referral credit - If your referral registers for a class by August 31, 2018, you will receive a double credit ($20 instead of $10)!
- New student discount - 15% off tuition for your first class, for new students that register before August 31, 2018!
Each session has a "drop date" --- approx. mid-February (Spring Session) & mid-September (Fall/ Winter Session). You can enroll your child in as many classes as you wish until then (some kids like to try each style to see what suits them the best), but you must know which classes you are committed to by that date. TAFY will not accept any new students for performance classes after that date. We do not give refunds for any reason. However, if after paying for the session in full, a student drops any class before this date, a credit may be held on your account for any unused classes (to be used in the same family within one year). If student drops after the drop date, no credit will be given. If account is billed monthly, the remaining balance for the semester will be due at the time of removal from class. A $50 late drop fee will also be added to the account. Special circumstances (injury, unexpected move, etc.) will be considered.
Teen/Adult Technique classes will not participate in the Showcase. These classes do not have a drop date. We will accept new students to these classes at any time. Drop ins are welcome in this class. We do not give refunds for any reason. However, if a student drops one of these classes after paying for the term, a credit may be held on your account for any unused classes (to be used in the same family within one year).
Spring and Fall/Winter sessions:
If you register after the session start date, we will prorate your account to reflect the classes missed. After registration, absences will not be prorated or refunded for any reason.
We understand that summertime is busy! We are willing to prorate summer classes if you are not able to make it to every class. Prorates must be approved beforehand with the instructor.
Appropriate clothing and footwear should be worn for each class. We encourage a layered approach (leggings over tights and leg warmers), which will enable the student to warm the muscles when needed. Please avoid clothing that is overly loose or baggy as instructors need to be able to verify that movements are being performed correctly. No denim jeans, buttons, belts, buckles, or zippers, please! If a student wears these things to class, he or she may be excluded, so please make sure they are dressed appropriately. Smiles are worn before, during, and after class. Please make sure young dancers use the restroom before class - they get excited! Street shoes are never allowed on the dance floor.
We sell most required items! Find what you need in the studio at your first class!
ITEMS REQUIRED FOR ALL CLASSES
For girls -
- Leotard of any style or color MUST be worn to EVERY CLASS.
- Layers are welcome. Shirts, sweaters, tank tops, legwarmers, etc.
- Legs must be visible! Tights, shorts, capris, leggings, and skirts are good options.
- Hair must be pulled back in a bun or braid before class begins
- Jewelry is strongly discouraged. Stud earrings only.
- Water bottle
- Knee pads are encouraged
For boys -
- Tank top or compression shirt
- Shorts, sweatpants, or other athletic pants
- Water bottle
- Knee pads are encouraged
ADDITIONAL ITEMS REQUIRED FOR SPECIFIC CLASSES
- Primary & Junior/Intermediate Acro classes: Bare Feet
- Intermediate/Senior Acro classes: Half-sole shoes
- Ballet classes: Ballet shoes
- Jazz/Contemporary classes: Jazz & Half-sole shoes
- Jazz/ Lyrical classes: Jazz & Half-sole shoes
- Lyrical/Contemporary classes: Half-sole shoes
- Jazz/Pom classes: Jazz shoes
- Pom classes: Jazz shoes
- Pointe & Pre-pointe classes: Ballet flats and pointe shoes (upon instructor approval)
- Tap/Jazz classes: Tap shoes, Jazz shoes
- Tap/ Hip Hop classes: Tap shoes, Jazz shoes
- Technique classes: Jazz, Ballet, or Half-sole shoes
- Creative Movement classes: Ballet shoes
ITEMS REQUIRED FOR DANCERS THAT WILL PERFORM IN THE SHOWCASE
- For girls - Please note that "nude" refers to items that match the dancer's skin color
- Nude tights - (convertible or footless for those in Acro)
- Nude bra for those that need one
- Nude trunks or leotard (optional for ages 7 & under)
- Black short sleeved leotard to be worn in finale and with some costumes
- Black capri leggings to be worn in finale and with some costumes (optional for Primary ages 3-5)
- Curly hair scrunchie (Optional)
- For boys -
- Black short sleeved compression shirt to be worn in finale and under some costumes
- All Black athletic pants (check with instructor. Some costumes may include pants.)
- Black dress socks (for any class other than Acro)
You can make payments by cash, check, bank draft, credit card, or PayPal.
To pay with cash or check, stop by the studio any time between 3:30-8:00 pm M-Th or 11-2 Saturday or mail payment to TAFY Dance Alaska at 9035 Lupine Lane, Juneau, AK 99801.
To pay using a bank draft or credit card (one time payment or auto pay), call Kristina at (907)321-2493 or login to your family account to add your billing information.
To pay using PayPal, Go to www.paypal.com and send payments to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please add the student's name in the "notes" field before sending.
Payments are due on the 1st of each month. A $10 late fee will be applied to any accounts that have not received a payment by the 5th of each month. If your family has account credit, it needs to be used within one year of the initial date.